Because some pairings are just common sense
There are many collaborations that are second nature; ones that are blatantly obvious, whether it be because the artists are in a relationship with each other or because they have collaborated in the past. Collabs like Drake and Rihanna, Lil Wayne and 2 Chainz, and Ariana Grande and Mac Miller are so overdone. Here are some fresh ideas of who needs to collaborate next:
- Chance the Rapper/ Beyoncé: We all saw Chance have a mini fan-girl moment when Beyoncé snuck up on him during an interview at the VMAs. Since Chano got that excited from a little spook from Beyoncé, imagine what kind of lyrics they could write together.
- Raury/ Willow Smith: Their shared philosophy of saving the Earth and spirituality would make for a match made in music heaven, with lyrics about the icebergs melting, the stratosphere, and aliens.
- The Chainsmokers/ LANY: The Chainsmokers usually feature not-so-well-known artists with unique voices; LANY’s lyrics and unique vocals with a Chainsmokers beat would make for the ultimate party song.
- Childish Gambino/ Tyler, The Creator: Tyler, The Creator has been creating some interesting art lately including a poorly done water-color painting of Donald Glover. Tyler’s spontaneity in his raps + Childish Gambino’s clever comparisons (ie: “set the game ablaze, I’m an arcade fire”) = perfection.
- Melanie Martinez/ The 1975: The 1975’s new aesthetic (which is more pink, and the music more feminine and poppy) and Melanie’s child-like vibe would mesh together nicely to create songs about dying, break-ups, and love.
- BØRNS/ Lorde: Lorde hasn’t made music in a while, and Garrett (BØRNS) is a lyrical god, writing lyrics such as “drive through the time zones, escape out of my mind’s own home”. Lorde’s enchantingly low, ringing voice harmonizing with BØRNS’s naturally tenor voice would be mesmerizing. His concert last year in the Grand Ballroom in Coffman was under-appreciated to say the least, so a collab with Lorde would bring BØRNS up to the celebrity status that he so deserves.
- Arctic Monkeys/ Lana del Rey: Alex Turner’s kick-ass guitar skills and Lana’s dreamy vocals would make music for listening to while chain-smoking cigarettes in a dark alley dressed in all black clothing.