TYPES OF WORK WE ACCEPT:
The Wake has three main sections:
- Cities (happenings and stories on campus and in the Twin Cities areas)
- Voices (opinions on most anything)
- Sound & Vision (our arts and entertainment section)
Each of these sections accepts 400- or 800-word articles for print, or articles of any length (preferably 200+) for online. Sound & Vision also accepts 250-word reviews. We also have a one page magazine that accepts 150-word pieces, as well as rants (about anything) from 5 to 150 words. The Wake publishes one artist Q&A in every issue (1,500 words), and one feature story (2,000 words).
The Wake uses AP Style. If you do not know AP Style, have no fear. Our copy editors can help you out. Submitted work should be original and unpublished elsewhere. Submissions must be from current University of Minnesota (Twin Cities) undergraduate or graduate students. One need not previous writing experience or to be a journalism major to submit to The Wake. Keep relevancy and timeliness in mind.
HOW TO SUBMIT:
Fill out the form with your real first and last names, your email (UMN email preferred), and a name for your document. Either type submission directly into the box, or attach a file with the “Choose File” button.
For article pitches…
- List intended word count and section or type of story
- Include as much information as you can on your possible story
- List sources you plan to draw from or talk to, if applicable
- Tell us why your story is appealing to UMN students
For story submissions…
- A working headline, subheadline (deck),
- byline (your name), source list at bottom (if applicable)
- List the section your story would fit in or type of story it is
- Tell us why this story is appealing to UMN students